Some people attribute the sanctity of ‘Ashura’ to the martyrdom of Sayyidna Husain [Radi-Allahu anhu], during his battle with the Syrian army. No doubt, the martyrdom of Sayyidina Husain [Radi-Allahu anhu] is one of the most tragic episodes of our history. Yet, the sanctity of ‘Ashura’ cannot be ascribed to this event for the simple reason that the sanctity of ‘Ashura’ was established during the days of the Holy Prophet ﷺ much earlier than the birth of Sayyidna Husain [Radi-Allahu anhu].
Consequently, deviated groups have been propagating lies about this event together with baseless and bid’ati acts during the month of Muharram. Hereunder are some frequently observed:
- That the person applying kohl on this day will not have any pain in the eyes for the entire year.
- That the person who baths on this day will not suffer any illness for the year.
- That there is a special salaah to be performed on this day.
- That the repentance of Sayyidina Aadam [alayhis salaam] was accepted on this day.
- That the ark of Sayyidina Nooh [as] settled on Mount Judi on this day.
- That on this day Allaah grehuned Sayyidina Yusuf [as] his father Sayyidina Ya’qoob [as].
- That Sayyidina Ibraheem [as] was saved from the fire on this day.
- That on this day Allah sent the ram to be sacrificed in place of Sayyidina Isma’eel [as]
(An authentic hadith reported in Tirmidhi states that Qiyaamah will take place on a Friday.
However, no authentic hadith says that this Friday will fall on the month of Muharram (i.e. the day of Aashura). A hadith of this nature has been classified as a fabrication by Sheikh Ali bin Muhammad Ibn Arraaq (Rahimahullah) and by Allaama Suyuti (rahimahullah). A person called Habîb Ibn Abi Habîb has concocted it)
Sources and references for this post:
- http://www.albalagh.net/general/muharram.shtml#Misconceptions and Baseless Traditions